Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A candle or small light left lit in the sanctuary of a church, especially (in Catholic churches) a red lamp indicating the presence of the reserved Sacrament.
- ‘The tabernacle, sanctuary lamp and all brasses have been cleaned, polished and lacquered in both Mulranny and Tiernaur churches.’
- ‘The renovations yielded a surprise when workers came across the original sanctuary lamp of the cathedral, which has now been restored to its former glory.’
- ‘A local craftsman is now set to clean and restore the traditional sanctuary lamp which has become badly discoloured over the years.’
- ‘A silver and silver-gilt sanctuary lamp was replicated by Caldwell and confirmed with a sketch at the bottom of a letter.’
- ‘If you would like a member of your family, neighbour or friend remembered, please sign their name in the Book of Prayer for Our Exam Students, which is to be found near the sanctuary lamp.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.