One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in South America and the Caribbean) a thick soup consisting of meat and root vegetables.
- ‘Nonetheless, substantial stews and soups called sancocho or ajiaco, as in Colombia, are common.’
- ‘Two popular dishes are sancocho - a soup made with meat and vegetables, and tazajo - ox meat beaten thin and grilled and covered with a tomato sauce.’
- ‘Another favorite dish is sancocho, a meat, plantain, and vegetable stew.’
- ‘Another dish served during religious holidays is pasteles, while along the coast, people eat sancocho, a fish or chicken stew.’
- ‘Another favorite dish is sancocho, a stew made with local meats and vegetables, often including plantains.’
From Latin American Spanish sancocho ‘a stew’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.