One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in South America and the Caribbean) a thick soup consisting of meat and root vegetables.
- ‘Nonetheless, substantial stews and soups called sancocho or ajiaco, as in Colombia, are common.’
- ‘Another favorite dish is sancocho, a meat, plantain, and vegetable stew.’
- ‘Another favorite dish is sancocho, a stew made with local meats and vegetables, often including plantains.’
- ‘Two popular dishes are sancocho - a soup made with meat and vegetables, and tazajo - ox meat beaten thin and grilled and covered with a tomato sauce.’
- ‘Another dish served during religious holidays is pasteles, while along the coast, people eat sancocho, a fish or chicken stew.’
From Latin American Spanish sancocho ‘a stew’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.