Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Denoting a type of dance music that is psychedelic or disorientating in nature and created using samples and other digital technology.‘sampladelic and soulful jungle’
- ‘He, an avid fan of both sampladelic hip-hop and hard bop, attempts to combine his two musical loves into his own style.’
- ‘‘Telemetron’ features classic Ninja Tune sampladelic funk and is the first track on the DVD presented in 3D.’
- ‘Much of the time they're trying to create a ‘theory-rush’ that matches the buzz they get from contemporary sampladelic dance music; they describe, half-jokingly, what they do as ‘sub-bass materialism.’’
- ‘For a while, with short little bursts presumably ripped from his radio, it sounds more like a sampladelic orgy than the usual pulsating sheets of sound these musicians produce.’
- ‘It starts off well with Coldcut's sampladelic show-off ‘More Beats and Pieces,’ but from there, the disc finds its all-stars relying too heavily on guest singers, and worse, guest rappers.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.