One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A committee, society, or association.
- ‘Alongside, the Trust began an Integrated Community-Based Rehabilitation Project that involved setting up swasthya samitis in villages in coordination with local panchayats.’
- ‘They said they were here on the invitation of the Institute of Social Sciences, Delhi, and would study the three-tier local bodies system, including Panchayti Raj, block samitis and zila parishads.’
- ‘Further discussion takes place on the Coordination Committee, the samanvaya samiti, comprised of intellectuals and activists from outside the movement who contribute to forging wider links.’
- ‘The samiti organises special exhibitions, haats, bazaars, and training programmes for up-and-coming artisans.’
- ‘The samiti has not sought any financial assistance from the Government.’
1930s: Hindi, from Sanskrit, ‘meeting, committee’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.