One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An area of coastal land that is regularly covered by the tide.‘they nest on the drier parts of the saltings’
marsh, marshland, swamp, swampland, sump, mire, quagmire, quag, morass, slough, fen, fenland, wetland, carrView synonyms
- ‘Like most waders, at high water curlew form large roosts on either the highest saltings or on fields and marshes behind the sea walls.’
- ‘These delightful visitors from Scandinavia and northern Russia spend winter days on the windswept saltings, shingle strands and tidelines.’
- ‘A succession of flights of these smallest of British geese swept in low over the saltings to alight on the fresh-water flood to drink and bathe.’
- ‘The birds, wanderers from Iceland and even Greenland, were attracted to the beaches and denes, to Breydon estuary wall and saltings and to the surrounding marshes inland as far as the Halvergate / Stracey Arms marsh road.’
- ‘Watching from the Breydon Bridge observation hide at high tide, I suddenly became aware of hundreds of dunlin taking wing and climbing high above the saltings.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.