One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A dish consisting of rolled pieces of veal or poultry cooked with herbs, bacon, and other flavourings.with modifier ‘the veal saltimbocca with its sage and prosciutto had the edge on flavour’
- ‘It was Julia who found for us the cool, quiet haven of an oak-timbered Italian restaurant, where I cured my headache with Barolo and saltimbocca.’
- ‘The saltimbocca alla romana is astonishing, the veal, prosciutto and sage explode on the tongue. The fragole di bosco are exquisite, possibly the best wild strawberries in the world.’
- ‘The second course was from a selection of eight entrées (e.g., saltimbocca alla Romana).’
- ‘His wife said he enjoys cooking all kinds of Italian food but his speciality is meat dishes such as saltimbocca and steaks, which he prepares himself.’
- ‘Other Bijou main courses are made up of traditional winter warmers such as saltimbocca, roasted loin of lamb, roasted rabbit and guinea fowl.’
Italian, literally ‘leap into the mouth’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.