An area of coastal grassland that is regularly flooded by seawater.‘the birds were wintering on the salt marshes’mass noun ‘miles of salt marsh stretched before us’
marsh, marshland, swamp, swampland, sump, mire, quagmire, quag, morass, slough, fen, fenland, wetland, carrView synonyms
- ‘The Rann, a vast expanse of tidal mud flats and salt marshes, take up much of Kachch.’
- ‘Shrimp farm development can damage other coastal habitats, including salt marshes and freshwater wetlands, according to the foundation report.’
- ‘Each day, large numbers of snails feasting on dead marsh grass in coastal salt marshes flee the incoming tide and their main predator, the blue crab, by climbing up live marsh grass.’
- ‘The estuaries and salt marshes of the Solway Firth, in southwest Scotland, are feeding and roosting grounds for many thousands of wintering wildfowl.’
- ‘The Louisiana salt marsh is tidally flooded, and salinity ranges from 0 to 28 ppt.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.