Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1An Italian sauce made with olive oil, garlic, capers, anchovies, vinegar or lemon juice, and parsley.
- ‘The meat is tender, the skin has a golden, crackly Peking-duck texture, and the whole dish is smothered in a rich, lemony salsa verde.’
- ‘Top the steak with a tangy sauce, like salsa verde, or even a squeeze of lemon and a sprinkling of salt, and it matches a wide range of wines.’
- ‘This increased popularity of herbs in the kitchen could be attributed to the glut of celebrity chefs such as Jamie Oliver, the man who slings bucketloads of parsley into salsa verde and handfuls of mint into risotto.’
- ‘The sandwich also featured caramelized onions and salsa verde which, according to my research, involves garlic and parsley.’
- ‘The bold Jamie adds them to his salsa verde, a kicking green sauce which he makes from parsley, mint, basil, anchovies, capers, garlic and chopped gherkins.’
2A Mexican sauce of finely chopped onion, garlic, coriander, parsley, and hot peppers.
- ‘The most common use for tomatillos is in Mexican-style salsa verde.’
- ‘In her yellow-walled kitchen, Azucena prepares a lunch of homemade corn tortillas, beans, cheese, salsa verde and salad.’
- ‘This is salsa verde worthy of Casa Manhattan's excellent breakfast dishes and careful fajitas; up to the challenge of crackly-thin tortilla chips and wonderful handmade flour tortillas.’
- ‘Arrange on a large platter from the top left to right: the salsa; sashimi with fresh wasabi; soy sauce mixture; onigara yaki with yuzu; and salsa verde.’
- ‘An hour later, the smell of beans, tamales, homemade tortillas, and carne con salsa verde filled the kitchen.’
Spanish, literally green sauce.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.