Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Inflammation of the fallopian tubes.
- ‘Pelvic inflammatory disease comprises a variety of inflammatory disorders of the upper female genital tract, including endometritis, salpingitis, tubo-ovarian abscess, and pelvic peritonitis.’
- ‘Endometritis and salpingitis are thought to be components of pelvic inflammatory disease.’
- ‘He also postulated that C trachomatis was a cause of pelvic inflammatory disease after noting that mothers whose babies had chlamydial ophthalmia neonatorum had symptoms of salpingitis.’
- ‘After acute salpingitis, the risk of an ectopic pregnancy is increased sevenfold.’
- ‘Hysterectomy and bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy specimens revealed uterine leiomyomas, adenomyosis, and acute salpingitis.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.