Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Light classical music originally considered suitable for playing in a salon.
- ‘They got more and more bizarre and eventually used extensive reworkings of Victorian parlour songs and piano salon music.’
- ‘Pierne had been composing light, salon music for some time, but his first major work was the opera La coupe enchantée, produced in Royan on 24 August 1895.’
- ‘Local compositions reflected the prevailing British fashion of ballads and salon music, but their words introduced subjects and sentiments more reflective of the landscape, flora and fauna of the new land.’
- ‘In 1838 Heller moved to Paris, where he made a living as a critic and a composer of salon music and enjoyed the friendship of Berlioz.’
- ‘Sir Edward Elgar wrote salon music, and while it was not very ‘important’ work, he did it with professionalism and affection.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.