A salt or ester of salicylic acid.
- ‘An ester, methyl salicylate, familiar as oil of wintergreen, is also a phenolic compound.’
- ‘The principal UVB absorbers are para-aminobenzoic acid derivatives, salicylates, cinnamates and camphor derivatives and microfine titanium dioxide.’
- ‘Originally salicylates (salts of salicylic acid) were obtained from the bark and leaves of willow and poplar trees; indeed ‘salicylate’ derives from the title of the willow genus, Salix.’
- ‘Modern compositions use other unstable, albeit somewhat less hazardous, aromatic compounds such as gallic acid or the salts of aromatic acids including sodium salicylate and potassium benzoate.’
- ‘Octyl salicylate is one of a class of sunscreen compounds called salicylates.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.