One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounPlural salespeople, Plural salespersons
A salesman or saleswoman (used as a neutral alternative).
salesman, saleswoman, sales assistant, assistant, shop assistant, saleslady, salesgirl, seller, negotiator, representative, sales representative, agentView synonyms
- ‘In the showroom John McCormack is the Principal salesman with three expert salespeople working under him.’
- ‘The service is unobtrusive and the salespersons know what they are selling.’
- ‘Most of the top directors are totally unreachable and it's the poor salespersons or customer service departments that become front line. Of course being assertive comes with practice and confidence.’
- ‘Not many salespersons can give the right information; many turn to the owner or the manager who has more experience.’
- ‘No sooner has the salesperson sold you the hi-fi, radio or washing machine than they offer you an extended warranty in case it goes wrong.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.