One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An enclosure around which a circle of buyers stands at an auction to view livestock offered for sale.
- ‘Twenty Eight Carat entered the Keeneland sale ring only minutes from the end of the session, but the second highest-priced horse of the day was the last horse in the ring.’
- ‘Students, under the guidance of the college's technical officers, are in attendance on the day to help prepare the grounds and usher the bulls into the sale ring throughout the entire auction.’
- ‘One of the animals in the Ampleforth Abbey herd comes under scrutiny in the sale ring.’
- ‘Barretts reported 213 horses selling from 268 through the sale ring, with gross receipts of $1,604,800 and an average price of $7,534.’
- ‘Restricted Livestock Area - Currently the designated livestock area for cattle is behind and beyond the sale ring but when sheep come on-stream it will include the sheep shed as a separate control point.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.