Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An event where goods made by members of a parish or other organization are sold, typically to raise funds for charity.
- ‘Members of the Community Council are now well advanced in plans for the annual sale of work to raise funds in aid of the Community Centre.’
- ‘Kay Green Keyes aired her plans for a sale of work to raise funds for People in Need.’
- ‘The annual sale of work takes place in the hall on Sunday, December 8, at 2.30 pm in aid of the upkeep of the hall.’
- ‘Clonaslee ICA extend thanks to al those who supported the Christmas sale of work in aid of guild funds.’
- ‘The sale of work includes cakes, books and items of special interest.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.