One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A jump in figure skating from the backward inside edge of one skate to the backward outside edge of the other, with one or more full turns in the air.
- ‘They are currently doing side-by-side triple toe loops and triple salchows and throw triple loop and triple salchow in this year's programs.’
- ‘She was eleven when she landed her first triple jump, a triple salchow, but considers the toe loop to be her favorite jump.’
- ‘Timothy Goebel is the first to land multiple quad jumps in a single exercise, with two quadruple salchows and a quadruple toe loop at the 2001 U.S. Figure Skating Championships.’
- ‘I decide to practice my axels, flips, salchows and lutzes.’
- ‘Carlow landed his first triple toe loop at 12, and a triple salchow soon after.’
Early 20th century: named after Ulrich Salchow (1877–1949), Swedish skater.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.