Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A jump in figure skating from the backward inside edge of one skate to the backward outside edge of the other, with one or more full turns in the air.
- ‘Timothy Goebel is the first to land multiple quad jumps in a single exercise, with two quadruple salchows and a quadruple toe loop at the 2001 U.S. Figure Skating Championships.’
- ‘They are currently doing side-by-side triple toe loops and triple salchows and throw triple loop and triple salchow in this year's programs.’
- ‘She was eleven when she landed her first triple jump, a triple salchow, but considers the toe loop to be her favorite jump.’
- ‘Carlow landed his first triple toe loop at 12, and a triple salchow soon after.’
- ‘I decide to practice my axels, flips, salchows and lutzes.’
Early 20th century: named after Ulrich Salchow (1877–1949), Swedish skater.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.