One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The ritual prayer of Muslims, performed five times daily in a set form, one of the Five Pillars of Islam.
- ‘If we do not perform our salat or sacrifice or hajj correctly, mere good intentions will not make them right.’
- ‘A Musalla can be any temporary space being used for offering salat. It is possible that a musalla is called a mosque.’
- ‘The second pillar, salat, consists of ritual prayers said five times each day while facing toward Mecca, Mohammed's birthplace.’
- ‘The salat is a highly ritualized requirement, unlike Christian prayers that may rely heavily on requests for intercession and personal confessions.’
- ‘For practitioners, the most essential tenet of Islam is the purification of the soul through prayers, known as salat, five times each day.’
Arabic, plural of salāh ‘prayer, worship’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.