One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The quality or state of being saintly; holiness.‘her selfless behaviour borders on saintliness’
holiness, godliness, piety, devoutness, spirituality, blessednessView synonyms
- ‘Liszt is the ambiguous father figure of Wagner's adult life, and he is a tantalising presence in Köhler's biography, gradually progressing from saintliness to holier-than-thou pomposity.’
- ‘As I thought about what had gone on in South Africa, I too sometimes felt that the qualities of soul required to restrain the impulse of retributive justice came close to saintliness.’
- ‘Its message is that sainthood is not just for the professional religious; it believes everyone is called to saintliness, no matter what path in life they walk.’
- ‘The perfection of life, the human capacity to apprehend and assimilate ideals of highest saintliness and selfless purity-in other words the divine quality or Dharma - is in continuous decline.’
- ‘I realise this is the difference between the person who is merely nice and/or not a very quick thinker, and the person who is a true pastor, verging on saintliness - or just can think quicker than I can after a very tiring 48 hours.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.