One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Not only does Fancy contradict southern ideals but in her saintlike manner, she possesses qualities nobler than those of the aristocrats with whom she seeks to identify.’
- ‘Grand or sad loners have a saintlike aura - Turner, for example, lashed to a mast, ‘surrounded by implacable and indifferent forces’ or Rouault, who accepted suffering and honestly repented of his bitterness toward the world.’
- ‘No more do our teens have to read novels whose main aim is to provide them with a model of how they should live - conventional, obedient, saintlike and quite frankly dull existences.’
- ‘Historians have long probed Lincoln's life and character, seeking the key to his almost saintlike standing in the American pantheon.’
- ‘Pearl's self-starvation references young women through the ages who rejected food as their only method of assertion and who were regarded as saintlike in their martyrdom.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.