One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Instructions to the captain of a vessel regarding such matters as time of departure and destination.
- ‘Among our jobs were taking sailing orders to the convoy, rescue work and towing targets for the Army with the artillery lined up on the beach.’
- ‘It is the second time in six months that a ‘suburban skipper’ has been given his sailing orders.’
- ‘She still reached her convoy rendezvous in Loch Ewe on time, but while waiting for sailing orders lost her starboard anchor when the cable snapped.’
- ‘While the bomb parts and special passengers were being off-loaded, the new sailing orders for the Indianapolis were being prepared by Commander in Chief.’
- ‘Boarding the 30,000-ton battleship Warspite, he left behind him sealed sailing orders that the fleet put to sea.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.