Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Relating to or denoting the suture on top of the skull which runs between the parietal bones in a front to back direction.
- ‘The head is at or on the perineum, and the sagittal suture is in the AP plane or rotated up to 45 degrees.’
- ‘The neurosurgeon reduces the occipital protuberance by securing the central sagittal strip to the occipital bones using nonabsorbable sutures or 28-g surgical steel wire.’
- ‘The sagittal suture extends midline along the vertex of the cranium from the anterior coronal suture line to the posterior lambdoidal suture line.’
- ‘A computed tomographic scan of the head demonstrated a superior sagittal sinus thrombosis and bilateral hemorrhagic infarcts of the parietal lobes.’
- ‘Near the front of the brain, in the midline, a deep sagittal groove in the dura indicates the site where the crista galli of the ethmoid bone is accommodated.’
2Of or in a plane parallel to the sagittal suture, especially that dividing the body into left and right halves:‘sagittal and transverse sections’
- ‘In the sagittal plane, the neck can be flexed, extended or hyper-extended, as in butterfly or breaststroke.’
- ‘In addition, the inclination of fibers relative to the sagittal and transverse planes was lower than in wild type fish.’
- ‘Most of the LHM in salamanders is located ventral to the vertebral centra, and therefore will tend to bend the body in the sagittal plane.’
- ‘Both knees were examined, and images were obtained in the transverse and the sagittal planes.’
- ‘Teach the client to reach away from the body in the sagittal plane and lengthen the spine.’
Late Middle English: from medieval Latin sagittalis, from Latin sagitta arrow.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.