One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large grouse of western North America, with long pointed tail feathers, noted for the male's courtship display in which air sacs are inflated to make a popping sound.
- ‘Visitors to Grasslands National Park can witness the mating dance of the sage grouse or get a look at the sharp-tailed grouse, Saskatchewan's bird emblem.’
- ‘The unprecedented state and local effort that has gone into preserving the sage grouse should provide a template for future conservation efforts.’
- ‘Sons Justin, 12, and Conor, 9, plan to spend most of the day fishing for trout, using their homemade poles and flies fashioned from chicken and sage grouse feathers.’
- ‘So what's going to happen to the sage grouse now?’
- ‘The explorers introduced to science Clark's nutcracker and Lewis's woodpecker, as well as the sage grouse and the lesser Canada goose.’
- ‘The agency administers several million acres of sage grouse habitat across 11 western states.’
- ‘The sage grouse, a bird native to the Great Plains and western United States, has seen a dramatic 90 percent decline in population over the past two decades.’
- ‘The group is currently working on a range of controversial issues, including habitat protection for the sage grouse.’
- ‘It's also essential habitat for the imperiled sage grouse, mountain plover and black-tailed prairie dog.’
- ‘In 2002, Jerry was surprised to see several sage grouse on the northern part of the ranch.’
- ‘These actions will also benefit pygmy rabbits and sage grouse that use the area as rearing habitat.’
- ‘Native grasses support cattle grazing and provide forage and shelter for native wild animals, such as elk, bighorn sheep, and sage grouse.’
- ‘Wildlife is plentiful, including jackrabbits, mule deer, elk, pheasant, sage grouse, barn owls, bald and golden eagles, and dozens of species of songbirds.’
- ‘He believes his sage grouse populations are healthier than those on two nearby National Wildlife Refuges.’
- ‘Before the mine, biologists noted that the site was an active ‘lek,’ or sage grouse dancing ground, where more than 100 of the imperiled birds used to gather.’
- ‘The valley also is a breeding ground for some of the West's largest populations of sage grouse, which are in such decline they're candidates for Endangered Species Act protections.’
- ‘The Federation successfully sued BLM for failing to write a resource management plan for its sage grouse lands in southwestern Montana.’
- ‘Loss of sagebrush in the Great Basin to agriculture and grazing has reduced the sage grouse population from several million to 160,000.’
- ‘Similarly, prairie chicken, sage grouse, and prairie elk will gain critical habitat when we establish bison and prairie dog reserves in the national grasslands.’
- ‘It is also one of the last strongholds of the charismatic sage grouse, which has declined throughout the West.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.