Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A valve that opens automatically to relieve excessive pressure.
- ‘By 1865 the safety valve was fast disappearing.’
- ‘When engineers build systems to manage enormous pressure, they usually design in points of release known as safety valves.’
- ‘Under normal conditions, the kidneys act as a safety valve to eliminate glucose above a certain threshold and prevent further accumulation.’
- ‘As a result, they knew how the plant functioned and understood that some releases functioned as a safety valve.’
- ‘I wasn't satisfied with the strength of the cylinders in which the pressurised, volatile mixture was carried, and I wanted more tests carried out on the safety valve intended to prevent blowbacks.’
- ‘With a garden hose connected to this safety valve, you can direct some of the overflow after a heavy rain out into the garden.’
- ‘He designed a safety valve to prevent the pressure of steam building up to dangerous levels.’
- ‘With no systematic way to address errors, the network has no built-in safety valve that allows it to correct the record.’
- ‘If total resistance is low, perhaps due to an internal short circuit in a motor, current flows so fast it can overheat the wire and burn through the insulation, unless there is a safety valve, such as a fuse.’
- ‘The harnessing of solar energy by photosynthesis depends on a safety valve that effectively eliminates hazardous excess energy and prevents oxidative damage to the plant cells.’
- 1.1A means of giving harmless vent to feelings of tension or stress.‘laughter may be a safety valve that reduces tension’
- ‘I've seen every journal and notebook I've ever owned as a safety valve against the steam that just natural builds up the pressure in my mind and heart.’
- ‘Releasing our emotions can act as a safety valve - relieving inner tensions, like steam out of a kettle.’
- ‘As a safety valve for parents who desperately need alternatives to schools in catastrophic condition, vouchers may work as a short-term balm, and as a prod to reform.’
- ‘This was intended to act as a safety valve at times of mounting international pressure.’
- ‘Certain elements within the ruling class regarded the party as a useful potential safety valve amid mounting social tensions.’
- ‘Art is not a challenge, it turns out, of existing institutions, but a relatively harmless substitute for such a challenge, a safety valve.’
- ‘He's finding working life immensely stressful, and the reckless boozing feels like a safety valve for him.’
- ‘Showing images of mere reversal may in fact provide a safety valve for the social tensions that the women's movement has created by demanding a more dominant role for women.’
- ‘The Times affords itself no similar set of safety valves to release steam when the paper becomes the issue.’
- ‘The idea that talking about your feelings functions as a kind of safety valve, allowing psychic pressure to be vented just as excess steam is allowed to escape from a blocked pipe, is sometimes referred to as the cathartic theory of emotion.’
- ‘But humor is a strange thing: it's a psychological safety valve, a means of voicing ‘unacceptable’ feelings.’
- ‘They sometimes tolerated a certain level of unauthorised absenteeism, recognising that it could function as a relatively harmless safety valve for the anger and resentments of enslaved people.’
- ‘In this way the community meetings act as a safety valve, allowing the local people to come together, ask questions and learn the truth.’
- ‘Even worse, they continue, is the possibility that the governments of India and China will build up huge armies in order to provide a safety valve for the young men's aggressive energies.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.