One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A razor with a guard to reduce the risk of cutting the skin.
- ‘But he made another trip on December 22 and was later found in his room, having cut himself with a safety razor blade and bled to death.’
- ‘Nurses can work with members of the infection control, risk management, supply management, and surgical departments to eliminate the use of safety razors for hair removal.’
- ‘The safety razor is believed to have been invented by a Frenchman, Jean-Jacques Perret.’
- ‘In 1901, Gillette introduced his double-edged bladed disposable safety razor.’
- ‘More than a century ago, King Gillette invented both the safety razor and a new way of marketing consumer goods.’
- ‘‘But he’ - a prior inventor - ‘has shown the world how to make a safety razor by clamping a blade in the way which I have described…’
- ‘The safety razor did not appear until the beginning of the 20th century and from then on, of course, anyone could adopt the style of the bourgeoisie just as anyone, eventually, could aspire to affluence with an off - the - peg suit.’
- ‘One measure for preventing SSIs has been to remove patients' hair in the surgical field via a safety razor.’
- ‘Go back 100 years, before the safety razor hit the scene, and every man was expected to expose his neck to an edge he had sharpened himself.’
- ‘I was anxious about what a derailed security apparatus at a small airport could do to me over nothing more than an innocent safety razor.’
- ‘This lock-'em-in-and-keep-'em-loyal routine has roots going back 100 years, with King Camp Gillette, who at one point gave away his innovative safety razor, then made his fortune selling the disposable blades.’
- ‘But you emerge a new man: gleaming, angular, ready to throw away every last aloe-basted-nancy-pants safety razor you own.’
- ‘Research performed during the last 30 years has demonstrated that preoperative shaving using safety razors is a risk factor for the development of surgical site infections.’
- ‘The advent of safety razors has rendered local barbers jobless.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.