One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A system of belts or restraints to hold a person to prevent falling or injury.
- ‘Parcelli, tethered by a safety harness, remained with the Chinook, but Roberts fell to the ground from about five feet.’
- ‘This meant climbing to the top of the 80 ft mast in a safety harness, with the yacht plunging in gusts of wind and a choppy sea, and holding on for dear life for five hours while she attached a spare halyard.’
- ‘The court heard that Mr Illingworth was not wearing a safety harness because he found it impracticable and inconvenient.’
- ‘It also said that Mr Kneller received inadequate briefing and supervision and should have been given an approved safety harness rather than a restraint belt.’
- ‘Also, never forget to fasten your safety harness.’
- ‘We get some very quick instruction on how to strap ourselves into the safety harness.’
- ‘Employed by a subcontractor, the teenager was not wearing a safety harness at the time of the fall and may not have received proper induction training.’
- ‘Nobody would even think to stop you, attach a safety harness, check the structural integrity of the building, or get the owner of the building to sign liability wavers, etc.’
- ‘Despite a sturdy safety harness, Soldini's codesigner and best friend, Andrea Romanelli, was washed overboard, never to be seen again.’
- ‘At least seven construction workers were on the scaffolding at the time, the man said, claiming, too, that one of them climbed up the scaffolding without a safety harness.’
- ‘He obviously hadn't bothered to clamp on the safety harness, either.’
- ‘Bryce shrugged and toyed with the strap of his safety harness.’
- ‘A window cleaner who plunged 45 ft to his death from a third-floor window ledge must not have had his safety harness fastened, an inquest heard.’
- ‘He smiled to himself as he fastened a safety harness around his chest and anticipated the adventure before him.’
- ‘But Coroner Geoff Fell said: ‘It appears he went to level 15 and beyond the safety barriers, and without a safety harness.’’
- ‘While Leonard had been wearing a safety harness some time before the fall, a senior police office on the scene said: ‘We are assuming he was unhooked.’’
- ‘Part of the mechanism for hoisting and lowering the mainsail gave way and the only way to fix it was to go aloft - a daunting task, even with a safety harness.’
- ‘In a split second I went over the side, into the water, and the boat started to drag me alongside by my safety harness.’
- ‘Lead instructor Alan Taylor, who has a reassuring Scottish accent, clips me into a safety harness that hangs from a moving trackway.’
- ‘Safety legislation makes the worker wear a helmet or a safety harness, whether he wants to or not.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.