One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A margin of security against risks.
- ‘The variety and quality of toys available for children today seem to require that buying parents have high IQs and big bank accounts as well as an understanding of the safety factor of the toys.’
- ‘Access to this site would be very close to the entrance to Woodcot Avenue and I am concerned how far safety factors have been considered.’
- ‘‘I had been very keen to run two to three times a week but found winter evenings prohibitive because of the safety factor,’ says Janet tracing back what incited her to form the club.’
- ‘He said the absence of both safety factors had been the main cause of numerous fatal traffic accidents.’
- ‘Falcon stressed the safety factor in choosing the overland route.’
- ‘Every move, regardless of its safety factors, has the potential to do injury.’
- ‘Other benefits of a diesel installation of this sort include the safety factor (as there is less risk of combustible instances!) and increased deck space.’
- ‘In closing, I invite any member of the police authority to explain the safety factors that deter them giving consent for taxis to use bus lanes.’
- ‘Placing your hard-earned money with less secure firms in less well-regulated regimes because their offers are more enticing is simply taking on an increased element of risk and lowering your safety factor - perhaps unwisely.’
- ‘When no studies of the developmental toxicity of a pesticide have been undertaken, EPA should automatically incorporate a child-protective safety factor into risk assessment.’
- ‘We always have to keep in mind the safety factor.’
- ‘Council official Davy Walsh said, however, that there were a lot of factors to consider with regards to this issue, such as safety factors relating to the lights themselves and also the cost of extra staffing.’
- ‘But there's safety factors involved in other parts of this mission that are so important for space exploration right now.’
- 1.1technical The ratio of a material's strength to an expected strain.
- ‘Nevertheless the 27.1mm steel pipe is intended to withstand pressure measuring 345 bars, and provides a two-fold safety factor.’
- ‘A series of plots of contours and critical surfaces corresponding to a number of stability ratios and tunnel depth to diameter ratios were devised and the relationship between the safety factor and stability ratio was obtained.’
- ‘The overall stability is governed by a failure mechanism passing below the structure with a safety factor of 2.11 under the undrained condition and 2.28 under the long-term drained condition.’
- ‘A typical safety factor for slab design is 1.7 to 2.0, so it might be reasonable to begin loading a properly designed slab when it has developed half of its tensile strength, which generally happens within a few days.’
- ‘The nonlinear loading conditions of the plastic hinges were analyzed to assess their rotation capacity and shear strength, and a safety factor to prevent the progressive collapse was calculated.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.