One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Deriving pleasure from inflicting pain, suffering, or humiliation on others.‘she took a sadistic pleasure in tormenting him’‘a sadistic killer’
callous, barbarous, bestial, perverted, vicious, brutal, cruel, savage, fiendish, cold-blooded, inhuman, ruthless, heartless, merciless, pitilessView synonyms
- ‘Why not call the police brutal, sadistic or even murderous when they act that way?’
- ‘Police fear the sadistic murderer and rapist John Taylor may have more guilty secrets in his murky past.’
- ‘There's a terrible scene where he is chained to a whipping post and flogged with sadistic pleasure by brutish Roman guards.’
- ‘Darkly erotic, sadistic and unsettling, Les Liaisons Dangereuses is regarded as a masterpiece.’
- ‘They claim it is not their fault that life can be vulgar, pornographic and sadistic.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.