One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Deriving pleasure from inflicting pain, suffering, or humiliation on others.‘she took a sadistic pleasure in tormenting him’‘a sadistic killer’
callous, barbarous, bestial, perverted, vicious, brutal, cruel, savage, fiendish, cold-blooded, inhuman, ruthless, heartless, merciless, pitilessView synonyms
- ‘Darkly erotic, sadistic and unsettling, Les Liaisons Dangereuses is regarded as a masterpiece.’
- ‘Why not call the police brutal, sadistic or even murderous when they act that way?’
- ‘There's a terrible scene where he is chained to a whipping post and flogged with sadistic pleasure by brutish Roman guards.’
- ‘They claim it is not their fault that life can be vulgar, pornographic and sadistic.’
- ‘Police fear the sadistic murderer and rapist John Taylor may have more guilty secrets in his murky past.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.