Deriving pleasure from inflicting pain, suffering, or humiliation on others.‘she took a sadistic pleasure in tormenting him’‘a sadistic killer’
callous, barbarous, bestial, perverted, vicious, brutal, cruel, savage, fiendish, cold-blooded, inhuman, ruthless, heartless, merciless, pitilessView synonyms
- ‘Darkly erotic, sadistic and unsettling, Les Liaisons Dangereuses is regarded as a masterpiece.’
- ‘They claim it is not their fault that life can be vulgar, pornographic and sadistic.’
- ‘There's a terrible scene where he is chained to a whipping post and flogged with sadistic pleasure by brutish Roman guards.’
- ‘Police fear the sadistic murderer and rapist John Taylor may have more guilty secrets in his murky past.’
- ‘Why not call the police brutal, sadistic or even murderous when they act that way?’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.