One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who derives pleasure, especially sexual gratification, from inflicting pain or humiliation on others.‘he was dubbed a dangerous sexual sadist by the judge at his trial’
- ‘Who else could so deftly turn from sadist pornography to prayer?’
- ‘He is revealed to be much more than a mere sadist.’
- ‘The sadist is in need of institutions, the masochist of contractual relations.’
- ‘We have a vast number of Puritanical sadists in Congress whose entire mission in life is to deny pleasure to others.’
- ‘Unlike the Freudian model, which occurs on the level of the unconscious, his pathology allows him to choose to become the sadist.’
- ‘A passionate defender of family values in his films, he was frequently a sadist on the set.’
- ‘The second scene seems to take place on a miniature golf course designed by a sadist.’
- ‘He either endured a horrific childhood or is a complete sadist.’
- ‘We've been dominated by sadists and ignored by the apathetic.’
- ‘He has transformed into a beaming sadist, as befits the presenter of this quiz programme.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.