Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The tendency to derive pleasure, especially sexual gratification, from inflicting pain, suffering, or humiliation on others.‘beneath the apparent loving concern she had glimpsed spite and sadism’
- ‘Deviant sexual preference as measured by sexual arousal tests may show evidence of a deviation, but no evidence of severe paraphilias such as sexual sadism.’
- ‘In addition, it is the treatment of choice for the most serious sexual deviations, such as sexual sadism.’
- ‘At the same time, Freudian psychoanalysis offers an understanding of the formations of sadism and masochism as complementary and vacillating.’
- ‘Whether or not you buy such arguments, it's clear that the issues of cinematic sadism and spectator pleasure/complicity are far from settled.’
- ‘Algolagnia is a psychiatric term covering sadism and masochism.’
- ‘Essentially, Roman and I are both dominants, but we're dominants who like to play with sadism / masochism in the context of our sexual relationship.’
- ‘Psychopathic individuals are not actually linked to sadism, so they don't actually enjoy inflicting pain.’
- ‘As the philosopher points out, ‘There is an aestheticism in masochism, while sadism is hostile to the aesthetic attitude.’’
- ‘Man Ray's dalliance with sadism and masochism took place primarily on the theoretical level.’
- ‘As Sarkar says, the incitement to violence is suffused with anxiety about virility, and the treatment of women seems to enact a fantasy of sexual sadism far darker than mere revenge.’
- ‘‘There is no room in my life for drugs, fights, divorce, adultery, sadism, unnecessary fuss and sex,’ he says now.’
- ‘The sexual sadism of Use Koch haunts Semprun's tale, and it seems that both aspects of Koonz's speculation are in play here.’
- ‘It features scenes of extreme sexual sadism and hardcore bondage as well as graphic depictions of rape.’
- ‘Lynchings, so often overtly sexual in their sadism, also betray profound economic anxieties.’
- ‘Yet this scenario of male sadism and necrophiliac fetishism, this duality of adoration and humiliation does not feel quite right.’
- ‘They include auto-mutilation of her genitals with a razor, voyeurism, taking sexual pleasure in urination, sadism, and masochism.’
- ‘This showed that CPA was an effective agent in the treatment of very severe paraphilias, in this case sexual sadism and pedophilia that resulted in a sexually motivated homicide.’
- ‘There would be clear evidence of sexual sadism in terms of fantasies, urges, history, and behavior in these cases.’
- ‘His cavalier endorsement of sadism and sexual abuse for ‘emotional release’ counts as hate under any reasonable definition of the word.’
- ‘This belief illuminates the fact that the exercise of such sadism and humiliation is a fundamentally political act.’
Late 19th century: from French sadisme, from the name of the Marquis de Sade, Comte de.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.