One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Saddles, bridles, and other equipment for horses.
- ‘The prizes for farmers’ milk turnouts have been considerably increased and a silver medal is being offered for the best collection of saddlery.’
- ‘Six months after the ban came into force, livery yards, farriers, blacksmiths and those who make saddlery and hunting clothes are starting to suffer from the dwindling numbers of hunters.’
- ‘Hundreds of people travelled to the southeast Queensland home of RM Williams at the weekend to buy saddlery, tools and machinery from the estate of the bush legend.’
- ‘There's no expensive saddlery, no fancy riding gear for the owner, and llamas do not require shoeing.’
- ‘Although they did do a good job on the brown canvas stable jackets and ‘fore and aft’ caps, the tack and saddlery are wrong.’
- ‘For horse and pony lovers, there was a range of horse boxes, saddlery and other equestrian equipment on display.’
- ‘Established in 1837 by Thierry Hermes, a harness maker, the Hermes firm branched out into saddlery in 1880.’
- 1.1 The making or repairing of saddlery.‘a training centre for crafts such as wheelwrighting and saddlery’
- ‘Emma specialises in saddle and tack repairs having spent two years in saddlery college in Scotland, where she was head girl to international showjumper John McGeoch.’
- ‘And the headline on the front page of the ‘free sheets’ indicated that a ban on fox hunting with dogs and horses would have a detrimental effect on the local saddlery industry.’
- ‘The footwear and saddlery departments ran alongside each other, though students followed a rather different syllabus.’
- ‘They are encouraged from an early age in this country to be in stables, to muck out, to learn about saddlery, to be with their horses, take them to summer camps and do all those sort of things.’
- ‘It deals with effects of the Industrial Revolution on the saddlery trade.’
- 1.2 A saddler's premises.
- ‘Millbrae is the only saddlery in the Central Belt, and Donald McLelann, Anne's fiancé, is one of three master saddlers in the country.’
- ‘By 1873 Francis had moved to the Flinders Ranges and acquired a saddlery and harnesshop in Blinman.’
- ‘Francis Fels, who had operated a store and saddlery at Melrose and Hammond for some time, was declared insolvent in 1893.’
- ‘Since you live in Calgary, I suggest you go to a saddlery & see what they say.’
- ‘Fashion giant Ralph Lauren has backed down over its threat to grab domain po-lo.com from a village saddlery.’
- ‘I am not a leather expert, so you really need to consult a leather repair shop or saddlery for info on this question.’
- ‘A picture framing shop, a newsagents, a saddlery and a needlework store have all shut recently.’
- ‘Formerly a Garda barracks, sweet shop and saddlery, the ground floor of the property has been opened up to accommodate one very large reception area which is partially divided by a wood panelled partition.’
- ‘The saddlery, now run by Duff's nephew Randy still turns out world-class saddles.’
- ‘There was a butcher, baker, saddlery and a blacksmith operated by David Baker who employed thirty men.’
- ‘There was a saddlery and a well-stocked store, operated by W.D. Stephenson and his wife.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.