One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small steam locomotive with a water tank that fits over the top and sides of the boiler like a saddle.
- ‘Darjeeling went in for tiny British saddle tank engines while Matheran and Shimla preferred German side-tankers.’
- ‘Thomas the Tank Engine and his saddle tank engine, Percy, return to the Embsay and Bolton Abbey Steam railway for a Day out with Thomas.’
- ‘These diesels solved the traction problem quickly and soon the little saddle tank steamers found their way to the scrap lines.’
- ‘While in tourist service it carried the name ‘Brillion Pioneer’ on its saddle tank.’
- ‘Very small steam engines, often referred to as ‘dinky’ engines, such as small saddle tank engines were used.’
- ‘The Duke of York took a ride on Eustace Forth, a saddle tank steam locomotive, when he visited the National Railway Museum yesterday.’
- ‘The tiny railroad's sole motive power was engine No.6, a 48-ton 2-6 - 2T saddle tank locomotive built in October 1924 by Alco-Cooke for the Knox Railway in Maine.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.