One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An oxford shoe with a piece of leather in a contrasting colour stitched across the instep, typically black or brown on a white shoe.
- ‘Our uniforms are plaid skirts, saddle shoes, tights when it's cold, a polo white T-shirt, or long sleeved button up white, blue, or pink shirt.’
- ‘Maria had a black and white saddle shoe on one foot and a faded skate boarding shoe on the other.’
- ‘And you out there in saddle shoes and crinolines still thought football was only played on weekends.’
- ‘In keeping with this year's theme, ‘The Doo Wop Sock Hop, ‘many of the guests rocked around the clock dressed in pencil pants, poodle skirts and saddle shoes.’’
- ‘He scanned the street, his gaze narrowing on a woman a few years older than he seemed to be, wearing saddle shoes, white ankle socks, a white flared skirt, and a polka-dot top, her red hair bouncing in a long ponytail.’
- ‘On her feet were white Bobby socks and pink and white roller skates that looked like saddle shoes.’
- ‘Twins depicts almost-identical girls who wear saddle shoes and shirts made of fabric printed with flowers.’
- ‘My behavior began to decline the next year, my last year for Girl Scouts and orthopedic saddle shoes.’
- ‘I'm wearing the common school uniform: Blue and white plaid skirt, white button up blouse, saddle shoes, and sweater with the school's name and logo on it.’
- ‘Her perfectly shined saddle shoes clicked rhythmically on the tiled floor as she attempted to rush to her father's office at a lady-like pace, a task that was nearly impossible.’
- ‘Even cheerleaders don't wear saddle shoes anymore.’
- ‘Along with the famous poodle skirts and ponytails, saddle shoes, penny loafers, and colored sneakers were popular with teenaged bobby-soxers.’
- ‘The shirt was okay and I put on a pair of black and white saddle shoes.’
- ‘In his shorts and saddle shoes, he took us back four decades to another kid who tended to steal the show.’
- ‘For the rest of the practice session I only simulated the jumps by rising from a squat in a bizarrely constrained way, swiveling one saddle shoe in a frog-ish kick.’
- ‘He was wearing a pleated skirt, white bra, black and white saddle shoes, and a woman's wig.’
- ‘From the '50s to the '80s, everything from saddle shoes and spandex to big collars and big hair sees a re-emergence on the fashion scene.’
- ‘There was tow-headed Jack - having freed himself from the controlling grip of his mother - enjoying a moment in the spotlight dressed in a seersucker suit with short pants and saddle shoes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.