One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An oxford shoe with a piece of leather in a contrasting colour stitched across the instep, typically black or brown on a white shoe.
- ‘And you out there in saddle shoes and crinolines still thought football was only played on weekends.’
- ‘On her feet were white Bobby socks and pink and white roller skates that looked like saddle shoes.’
- ‘My behavior began to decline the next year, my last year for Girl Scouts and orthopedic saddle shoes.’
- ‘Along with the famous poodle skirts and ponytails, saddle shoes, penny loafers, and colored sneakers were popular with teenaged bobby-soxers.’
- ‘Twins depicts almost-identical girls who wear saddle shoes and shirts made of fabric printed with flowers.’
- ‘The shirt was okay and I put on a pair of black and white saddle shoes.’
- ‘In keeping with this year's theme, ‘The Doo Wop Sock Hop, ‘many of the guests rocked around the clock dressed in pencil pants, poodle skirts and saddle shoes.’’
- ‘I'm wearing the common school uniform: Blue and white plaid skirt, white button up blouse, saddle shoes, and sweater with the school's name and logo on it.’
- ‘There was tow-headed Jack - having freed himself from the controlling grip of his mother - enjoying a moment in the spotlight dressed in a seersucker suit with short pants and saddle shoes.’
- ‘For the rest of the practice session I only simulated the jumps by rising from a squat in a bizarrely constrained way, swiveling one saddle shoe in a frog-ish kick.’
- ‘He was wearing a pleated skirt, white bra, black and white saddle shoes, and a woman's wig.’
- ‘Our uniforms are plaid skirts, saddle shoes, tights when it's cold, a polo white T-shirt, or long sleeved button up white, blue, or pink shirt.’
- ‘Her perfectly shined saddle shoes clicked rhythmically on the tiled floor as she attempted to rush to her father's office at a lady-like pace, a task that was nearly impossible.’
- ‘Even cheerleaders don't wear saddle shoes anymore.’
- ‘From the '50s to the '80s, everything from saddle shoes and spandex to big collars and big hair sees a re-emergence on the fashion scene.’
- ‘He scanned the street, his gaze narrowing on a woman a few years older than he seemed to be, wearing saddle shoes, white ankle socks, a white flared skirt, and a polka-dot top, her red hair bouncing in a long ponytail.’
- ‘Maria had a black and white saddle shoe on one foot and a faded skate boarding shoe on the other.’
- ‘In his shorts and saddle shoes, he took us back four decades to another kid who tended to steal the show.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.