One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A triangular bone in the lower back formed from fused vertebrae and situated between the two hip bones of the pelvis.
- ‘X rays may show inflammation where the sacrum meets the pelvis.’
- ‘In 68% of individuals studied, the division occurs between the fifth lumbar vertebra and the upper border of the sacrum.’
- ‘His major complaint was lumbar pain near the sacrum and tailbone.’
- ‘These sit in between your hip bones and the sacrum bone in your lower back.’
- ‘People who have an aligned sacrum (where the spine meets the pelvis) can keep their legs perpendicular to the floor when they bend, but I couldn't.’
- ‘Go ahead and lay supine and see if you can get your cervical vertebrae and sacrum on the ball simultaneously, with your femur parallel to the floor.’
- ‘Compression fractures can occur anywhere from the occiput to the sacrum.’
- ‘The nurse performs a sterile skin prep extending from the patient's lower back area to his or her sacrum and perineum using povidone iodine scrub and paint.’
- ‘Giant cell tumor of bone is a rare neoplasm usually seen in the long bones or sacrum.’
- ‘New Attitude - black nylon and spandex ‘underwear’ - has an adjustable pad that presses firmly against the sacrum, a bone in the pelvic area.’
- ‘A small surgical opening is made over the sacrum and a lead is placed near the sacral nerve that influences bladder control.’
- ‘The sacrum, coccyx, and the two coxal bones form the pelvis.’
- ‘He said the dreaded Bermuda triangle, an area from the sacrum down the buttocks cheeks, over the anus, is no longer the danger zone it was thought to be in the 1980s.’
- ‘The lowest lumbar vertebra articulates with the sacrum, and this in turn with the coccyx.’
- ‘Vesalius said that the human sacrum normally has five vertebrae but one of six is by no means rare.’
- ‘An abdominal film showed multiple vertebral anomalies in the sacrum.’
- ‘In other tetrapods, haemal arches do not begin for several vertebrae posterior to the sacrum.’
- ‘The vertebral body becomes larger toward the sacrum where more weight is carried.’
- ‘At the bottom of the spine is a large, solid bone called the sacrum.’
- ‘The spinal column is composed of seven cervical vertebrae, twelve thoracic vertebrae, five lumbar vertebrae, the bony sacrum, and the coccyx.’
Mid 18th century: from Latin os sacrum, translation of Greek hieron osteon ‘sacred bone’ (from the belief that the soul resides in it).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.