One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The heart of Christ, especially as represented in an image and regarded as an object of devotion among Roman Catholics.
- ‘It is to make atonement to the most Sacred Heart for all the sins of the world and to implore His grace and mercy for every family in the parish.’
- ‘When these sermons on the Sacred Heart were read in the convent, the nuns got the message.’
- ‘In June 1899, on the eve of the Feast of the Sacred Heart, the marks of Christ's wounds appeared on her hands.’
- ‘He pointed to the decline in devotion to the Sacred Heart which underpinned the whole pioneer movement.’
- ‘It is the first thing that the outsider feels in a Pieta or a shrine of the Sacred Heart.’
- ‘This is why most images show the Sacred Heart surmounted by a cross and surrounded by thorns.’
- ‘This will be a public Novena, a wonderful opportunity for devotion to the Sacred Heart.’
- ‘In her heart she had a special affection for the Sacred Heart and always looked forward to the Sacred Heart novenas.’
- ‘Painted icons came down and painted-plaster statues of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Immaculate Heart of Mary went up.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.