One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A chocolate gateau with apricot jam filling and chocolate icing.
- ‘Or make afternoon tea fashionable again with a tray of colourful fruit sablés, raspberry and almond brandy snaps, or dreamily rich Sachertorte.’
- ‘Vienna - the city of dreams, waltzes, Sachertorte, gemuetlichkeit, and romance - is centre stage this week as Teatro La Quindicina unveils its first production of 2004, The Vile Governess and Other Psychodramas.’
- ‘Most of the other desserts were chocolaty things - chocolate mousse, chocolate cake, Sachertorte.’
- ‘The menu for the evening was incredible: champagne, caviar, smoked salmon, pate, Wiener schnitzel and of course, Sachertorte.’
- ‘Take a rest in one of the typical Viennese Coffee houses and treat yourself to delicious Sachertorte topped with whipped cream.’
German, from the name of Franz Sacher, the pastry chef who created it, + Torte ‘tart, pastry’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.