One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A large extinct carnivorous mammal of the cat family, with massive curved upper canine teeth.
Several genera in the family Felidae, in particular Smilodon of the American Pleistocene and Machairodus of the Old World Pliocene
- ‘Turn back the hands of time 20,000 years, and these two biologists might be spotlighting saber-toothed cats, mastodons, mammoths, and 18-foot-tall sloths.’
- ‘Within a few thousand years, humans had wiped out most of these species, including camels, horses, saber-toothed tigers, mammoths, giant beavers, and sloths.’
- ‘These extinctions included animals such as mammoths and mastodons, the saber-toothed cat, ground sloths and native American horses and camels.’
- ‘What killed the saber-toothed tiger, the mastodon and the mammoth, formidable animals that were on top of the food chain in North America 20,000 years ago?’
- ‘These animals, the equivalent of the sabre-toothed cat of the Cenozoic era, used their enormous canines to bring down the ox - sized pareiasaurs.’
- ‘The mammoth and the sabre-toothed tiger may have long since passed into the palaeontology history books but one of their contemporaries, a diminutive snail, is clinging to existence in Yorkshire.’
- ‘Mammoths and their cousins the mastodons, longhorned bison, sabre-toothed cats, giant ground sloths, and many other large mammals characterized Pleistocene habitats in North America, Asia, and Europe.’
- ‘For instance, the extinct saber-toothed cat Smilodon fatalis was shown to have surprisingly weak bite strength relative to its size.’
- ‘Their goal is to restore giant wild mammals to North America, like those that roamed the continent during the Ice Age - mammoths, saber-toothed cats, and the extinct American cheetah, among others.’
- ‘The canines have a sharp bend and fit into a groove on an expanded process on the lower jaw: a feature seen in other sabertooths but not in Smilodon.’
- ‘Their ancestors roamed the earth before mammoths and sabre-toothed tigers.’
- ‘My adrenal glands hit the Emergency Squirt button and dumped their entire load of adrenaline into my bloodstream, convinced that at long last a sabretooth had shown up at the mouth of the cave.’
- ‘Soon, they stumble upon a baby who is being hunted by sabertooths, and the two decide to return it to its owner.’
- ‘To survive, he needed help holding off saber-toothed tigers or bringing down a woolly mammoth for dinner - so evolution favored those who felt uncomfortable alone and sought out the company of others.’
- ‘Ice Age America boasted huge sabre-toothed tigers, woolly bison, giant antelopes and the woolly mammoth.’
2A large extinct marsupial mammal of the South American Pliocene, with massive curved upper canine teeth.
Genus Thylacosmilus, family Borhyaenidae
- ‘Discuss the significance of the South American sabertooth Thylacosmilus.’
- ‘The skull of marsupial sabertooth Thylacosmilus and sabertooth cats has in connection with it very specific form.’
- ‘This marsupial sabertooth has been a great favorite ever since I saw the Matternes reconstructions in Life's Book of South America.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.