One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A large extinct carnivorous mammal of the cat family, with massive curved upper canine teeth.
- ‘Turn back the hands of time 20,000 years, and these two biologists might be spotlighting saber-toothed cats, mastodons, mammoths, and 18-foot-tall sloths.’
- ‘The canines have a sharp bend and fit into a groove on an expanded process on the lower jaw: a feature seen in other sabertooths but not in Smilodon.’
- ‘Within a few thousand years, humans had wiped out most of these species, including camels, horses, saber-toothed tigers, mammoths, giant beavers, and sloths.’
- ‘Soon, they stumble upon a baby who is being hunted by sabertooths, and the two decide to return it to its owner.’
- ‘To survive, he needed help holding off saber-toothed tigers or bringing down a woolly mammoth for dinner - so evolution favored those who felt uncomfortable alone and sought out the company of others.’
- ‘What killed the saber-toothed tiger, the mastodon and the mammoth, formidable animals that were on top of the food chain in North America 20,000 years ago?’
- ‘These animals, the equivalent of the sabre-toothed cat of the Cenozoic era, used their enormous canines to bring down the ox - sized pareiasaurs.’
- ‘Their ancestors roamed the earth before mammoths and sabre-toothed tigers.’
- ‘My adrenal glands hit the Emergency Squirt button and dumped their entire load of adrenaline into my bloodstream, convinced that at long last a sabretooth had shown up at the mouth of the cave.’
- ‘Ice Age America boasted huge sabre-toothed tigers, woolly bison, giant antelopes and the woolly mammoth.’
- ‘Their goal is to restore giant wild mammals to North America, like those that roamed the continent during the Ice Age - mammoths, saber-toothed cats, and the extinct American cheetah, among others.’
- ‘These extinctions included animals such as mammoths and mastodons, the saber-toothed cat, ground sloths and native American horses and camels.’
- ‘Mammoths and their cousins the mastodons, longhorned bison, sabre-toothed cats, giant ground sloths, and many other large mammals characterized Pleistocene habitats in North America, Asia, and Europe.’
- ‘For instance, the extinct saber-toothed cat Smilodon fatalis was shown to have surprisingly weak bite strength relative to its size.’
- ‘The mammoth and the sabre-toothed tiger may have long since passed into the palaeontology history books but one of their contemporaries, a diminutive snail, is clinging to existence in Yorkshire.’
2A large extinct marsupial mammal of the South American Pliocene, with massive curved upper canine teeth.
- ‘The skull of marsupial sabertooth Thylacosmilus and sabertooth cats has in connection with it very specific form.’
- ‘Discuss the significance of the South American sabertooth Thylacosmilus.’
- ‘This marsupial sabertooth has been a great favorite ever since I saw the Matternes reconstructions in Life's Book of South America.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.