One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A hunt saboteur.
- ‘Our sabs and the League Against Cruel Sports will be monitoring the hunt and will be able to produce evidence if the killing was a deliberate act.’
- ‘Over the weekend, there were seven sabs deployed, including 30-year-old Stephen Smith, from Bolton, who has been ‘sabbing’ for half his life.’
- ‘At a country-house dinner in Wiltshire, my hunting friends tell me the cubbing is fantastic this year and the sabs seem to have disappeared to the guinea-pig farm.’
- ‘A one time hunt sab, I'm obviously delighted to hear that the ban on hunting will take effect from Friday and that the government's 1997 promise that parliament would have its say has finally been honoured.’
- ‘The clash between town and country, huntsman and hunt sab, rural tradition and urban sensitivity, is far from over.’
- ‘There are probably many more people that go shooting than used to go hunting with hounds, and it is a big commercial enterprise, so the hunt sabs may have a harder time of it trying to get shooting banned.’
- ‘She added that although the pressure group did not get involved, she knew there would be ‘a lot of hunting sabs out there too’.’
- ‘Anyone who endangers ‘animals and the environment’, hunts sabs, for instance, will be subject to European anti-terrorist arrest warrants.’
Act as a hunt saboteur.‘they travelled the country sabbing and demonstrating’
- ‘Sabbing is a highly skilled activity learnt over many years but everyone has something to contribute and anyone can be in the right place at the right time to make a crucial intervention.’
- ‘Two of them were chased by screaming hunt thugs, after they had successfully sabbed the hunt.’
- ‘I'm totally against fox hunting (and a friend of mine died while sabbing a few years back, and I'll bet he's grinning right now wherever he ended up).’
- ‘I remember when Joe Mangel's wife got capped while sabbing a duck hunt.’
- ‘But with a supportive Conservative Government in power in the early 1990s the law could be conveniently changed so that ‘sabbing’ a hunt became a new offence, criminal trespass.’
1970s: abbreviation of saboteur.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.