One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A large, round, yellow-fleshed root that is eaten as a vegetable; a swede.
- ‘Other examples of the class are kale, rutabaga, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, kohlrabi, and collard.’
- ‘Being a happy little global foodie, I can move effortlessly from swede to rutabaga and from muesli to granola wherever I am, but some dishes should always stay true to their origins and not suffer the indignity of translation.’
- ‘To serve, spoon some rutabaga sauerkraut onto a plate, spoon some salad in the center and set a sweetbread on top.’
- ‘Add the onions, rutabaga thyme, and bay leaf and sauté until translucent.’
- ‘Add the celeriac, potato, turnip, rutabaga, and carrots and stir to coat with butter.’
- ‘The more they made you eat your rutabagas, the more you hated rutabagas, right?’
- ‘For variety, use seasonal vegetables (for example, add sweet potatoes, rutabagas and turnips in winter or corn, fresh tomatoes and peas in summer).’
- ‘In the back yard right now, I am growing garlic, onions, lettuce, broccoli, cabbage, fava beans, shallots, spinach, chard, peas, rutabagas and parsley.’
- ‘Toss the rutabagas, sweet potatoes, parsnips, and onion with the olive oil and spread them out evenly on a cookie sheet.’
- ‘In a large bowl, combine the rutabaga, onions, parsnips, carrots, turnips, celeriac, and sweet potatoes and toss to combine.’
- ‘I'd recommend the potato cake (it has a crisp, hash-brown exterior and is buttery inside), the sweet rutabaga sauerkraut, or the spinach folded in a creamy Parmesan sauce.’
- ‘Most root crops - including carrots, beets, parsnips, rutabagas and turnips - keep best at 32 degrees F and around 95 percent humidity.’
- ‘Besides carrots, other root vegetables include turnips, parsnips, radishes, beets and rutabagas.’
- ‘The Finnish diet is rich in root vegetables (carrots, beets, potatoes, rutabagas, and turnips) and in fresh berries (blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries in season).’
- ‘The menu also reflects the season by using more turnips, carrots, rutabagas and wild mushrooms.’
- ‘Add carrots, rutabaga, turnips, beets, potatoes, fennel and leeks; simmer until vegetables are tender.’
- ‘My favorite, though, was a simple foie gras terrine, cut in velvet pink slabs, with dense deposits of artichoke and rutabaga in the middle.’
- ‘Carrots (especially the big, woody ones), chicory, overgrown beets, rutabagas, Jerusalem artichokes, lettuce and parsnips are all excellent.’
- ‘For this, I recommend the following ten vegetables we can use throughout the winter: baking potatoes, red skin potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, butternut squash, acorn squash, turnips, parsnips, rutabagas and onions.’
- ‘They therefore named the corresponding genes after vegetables - cabbage, rutabaga, radish and turnip - which some scientists found objectionable.’
2The European plant of the cabbage family that produces this root.
Brassica napus, family Brassicaceae: ‘napobrassica’ group
- ‘In years past when I have planted rutabaga only a few have come up, so this year I decided to plant nearly three rows.’
- ‘The current arrangement is to call the common white turnip B. rapa; to assign its relatives the swede and rutabaga to B. napus ssp rapifera; and rape, grown for its oil-bearing seeds, to B. napus.’
Late 18th century: from Swedish dialect rotabagge.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.