One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A large, round, yellow-fleshed root that is eaten as a vegetable; a swede.
- ‘To serve, spoon some rutabaga sauerkraut onto a plate, spoon some salad in the center and set a sweetbread on top.’
- ‘Add the onions, rutabaga thyme, and bay leaf and sauté until translucent.’
- ‘The Finnish diet is rich in root vegetables (carrots, beets, potatoes, rutabagas, and turnips) and in fresh berries (blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries in season).’
- ‘Add the celeriac, potato, turnip, rutabaga, and carrots and stir to coat with butter.’
- ‘For variety, use seasonal vegetables (for example, add sweet potatoes, rutabagas and turnips in winter or corn, fresh tomatoes and peas in summer).’
- ‘I'd recommend the potato cake (it has a crisp, hash-brown exterior and is buttery inside), the sweet rutabaga sauerkraut, or the spinach folded in a creamy Parmesan sauce.’
- ‘Other examples of the class are kale, rutabaga, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, kohlrabi, and collard.’
- ‘Being a happy little global foodie, I can move effortlessly from swede to rutabaga and from muesli to granola wherever I am, but some dishes should always stay true to their origins and not suffer the indignity of translation.’
- ‘Carrots (especially the big, woody ones), chicory, overgrown beets, rutabagas, Jerusalem artichokes, lettuce and parsnips are all excellent.’
- ‘In a large bowl, combine the rutabaga, onions, parsnips, carrots, turnips, celeriac, and sweet potatoes and toss to combine.’
- ‘They therefore named the corresponding genes after vegetables - cabbage, rutabaga, radish and turnip - which some scientists found objectionable.’
- ‘In the back yard right now, I am growing garlic, onions, lettuce, broccoli, cabbage, fava beans, shallots, spinach, chard, peas, rutabagas and parsley.’
- ‘Besides carrots, other root vegetables include turnips, parsnips, radishes, beets and rutabagas.’
- ‘Most root crops - including carrots, beets, parsnips, rutabagas and turnips - keep best at 32 degrees F and around 95 percent humidity.’
- ‘The more they made you eat your rutabagas, the more you hated rutabagas, right?’
- ‘The menu also reflects the season by using more turnips, carrots, rutabagas and wild mushrooms.’
- ‘For this, I recommend the following ten vegetables we can use throughout the winter: baking potatoes, red skin potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, butternut squash, acorn squash, turnips, parsnips, rutabagas and onions.’
- ‘Toss the rutabagas, sweet potatoes, parsnips, and onion with the olive oil and spread them out evenly on a cookie sheet.’
- ‘Add carrots, rutabaga, turnips, beets, potatoes, fennel and leeks; simmer until vegetables are tender.’
- ‘My favorite, though, was a simple foie gras terrine, cut in velvet pink slabs, with dense deposits of artichoke and rutabaga in the middle.’
2The European plant of the cabbage family that produces this root.
Brassica napus, family Brassicaceae: ‘napobrassica’ group
- ‘The current arrangement is to call the common white turnip B. rapa; to assign its relatives the swede and rutabaga to B. napus ssp rapifera; and rape, grown for its oil-bearing seeds, to B. napus.’
- ‘In years past when I have planted rutabaga only a few have come up, so this year I decided to plant nearly three rows.’
Late 18th century: from Swedish dialect rotabagge.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.