One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A group of country parishes governed by an elected council.
the country, the countryside, the provinces, rural districts, the backwoods, the back of beyond, the wilds, the hinterland, a backwaterView synonyms
- ‘The Shire Hall was also the venue for tribunals, inquiries, magistrates courts and county court hearings, inquests and meetings of the county council and the rural district council, mayor makings and other meetings of various kinds.’
- ‘His father, born in the rugby-mad Scottish borders, took a job as a road surveyor with the old rural district council in the 1920s and was a founder member of North Ribb.’
- ‘He said while district councils did not have a statutory duty to provide public conveniences they had inherited most from the former rural district and borough councils.’
- ‘Gladstone's legislation introduced urban and rural districts, parish councils for villages of over 300 inhabitants, and parish meetings for hamlets.’
- ‘I've regretted it ever since from the point of view of the rural district and county councils to which I have to pay money.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.