One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The basic monetary unit of India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Mauritius, and the Seychelles, equal to 100 paise in India, Pakistan, and Nepal, and 100 cents in Sri Lanka, Mauritius, and the Seychelles.
- ‘However, now, the trio are absconding after cheating people of crores of rupees.’
- ‘The district administration has pumped in crores of rupees to make the falls attractive.’
- ‘Instead of spending crores of rupees on your Temple charades, why not put the money to a good cause like this one?’
- ‘Businessmen estimate that goods worth crores of rupees have been damaged by the water in Kapda Market.’
- ‘The village of 20 areca farmers has an outstanding loan amount of more than one crore rupees.’
- ‘Stamp duty was reduced and the Government ended up losing crores of rupees.’
- ‘Sarees costing lakhs of rupees and ornaments worth crores should be looked down upon by the society.’
- ‘Crores of rupees have been spent on a layout that might just get buried under illegal constructions.’
- ‘Had BMP implemented the project on its own, it would have saved several crores of rupees.’
- ‘All the other channels will be launching programmes giving away crores upon crores of rupees.’
- ‘The violence disrupted normal life in the city and damaged property worth crores of rupees.’
- ‘Annually there is a loss of crores of rupees, only because dead bodies are cremated in India.’
- ‘Raw and finished goods worth crores of rupees were destroyed as the rain water accumulated in the godowns.’
- ‘Crores of rupees change hands and children are forced to become slaves.’
- ‘On receiving news that Moody's had turned its India outlook from stable to positive, the rupee rose four paise.’
- ‘Give or take a few crores, the national parties among themselves have spent a thousand crore rupees.’
- ‘Some of the screen printing units have received orders worth crores of rupees.’
- ‘He said 50 villages in Amabla had been affected by floods leading to loss of crores of rupees.’
- ‘Moreover, thousands of crores of rupees had to spent to buy power for farmers.’
- ‘A more telling index of the progress of the War on Terror is the exchange rate between the dollar and the Pakistani rupee.’
Via Hindi from Sanskrit rūpya ‘wrought silver’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.