One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A simple needlework stitch consisting of a line of small even stitches which run back and forth through the cloth without overlapping.‘trousers with contrast running stitch’count noun ‘a quilt with motifs sketched in tiny running stitches’
- ‘Measures are usually taken to stop the bleeding by packing the involved area tightly with gauze or suturing the artery with a running stitch.’
- ‘The stitches need some consideration and the contemporary ones were: stem-stitch, outline-stitch, threaded running-stitch, running stitch, split-stitch, chain-stitch, couching, and surface couching.’
- ‘For hand appliqué, outline the flowers and leaves with three strands of embroidery floss using a backstitch, running stitch or stem stitch.’
- ‘The surgeon closes the patient's abdomen with a #1 polypropylene running stitch from superior and inferior aspects of the incision.’
- ‘Leaving a long yarn tail at each end, use the tapestry needle, yarn and a 3/8' long running stitch to stitch the pillow front to the back 2' from the edges, leaving a 4' opening in one edge center.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.