One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Examine cursorily for correctness or adequacy.‘he had the chance to run the rule over the Brazil team’
- ‘Barrow is also targeting an experienced striker, a left-sided player and will be running the rule over a number of trialists once the players are back in training on July 4.’
- ‘It will also be an ideal opportunity for us to run the rule over him at senior level before next season.’
- ‘The Stanley manager has been running the rule over his squad during their extensive pre-season fixtures in preparation for the big kick-off at Aldershot on Sunday.’
- ‘Since the business went into administration, few concrete details about just who was running the rule over the bus company had leaked out.’
- ‘With city analysts constantly running the rule over its operations and competitors moving operations offshore, there would be enormous pressure to cut jobs here.’
- ‘York City manager Terry Dolan took an additional chance to run the rule over his new charges this afternoon.’
- ‘Emily Bell runs the rule over who should be the new chairman of the BBC’
- ‘But after running the rule over the club's playing squad in pre-season, he's liked what he's seen and can't wait for the first whistle at Swansea tomorrow.’
- ‘After some big surprises in the nominations, Jessica Winter runs the rule over this year's hopefuls’
- ‘After that, it's time for an Arts Council review, with a British theatre director expected to be appointed to run the rule over the Abbey.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.