One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a vehicle or its driver) knock a person or animal down and pass over their body.‘Anna accidentally ran over their cat’
run down, knock down, knock over, knock to the ground, hit, strikeView synonyms
- ‘A coroner has called for a pedestrian crossing at a set of traffic lights after a pensioner was run over and killed last year.’
- ‘Meanwhile, police are appealing for witnesses to an accident in which an elderly pedestrian was run over on a pelican crossing in Norton Avenue, Sheffield.’
- ‘She died of chest and abdominal injuries after she was run over by a lorry outside York District Hospital.’
- ‘The fifty-two year old businessman was charged with culpable homicide after running Clarke over with his four-wheel drive vehicle.’
- ‘A wildlife campaigner is urging motorists to slow down after a swan was run over.’
- ‘We do not yet know if the victim was run over deliberately or if the incident occurred by accident but at this stage, the death is being treated as murder.’
- ‘When the family's two dogs were run over 18 months ago, the tragedy affected Adam deeply.’
- ‘Barbara Sheppard, a retired teacher, fears a child will be run over before the council do anything to make the road safer.’
- ‘Another worker said Mr Heap was standing by the vehicle when he was run over.’
- ‘Children are playing there without the fear of cars running them over and it creates a nice community feel.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.