One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A series of raised strips across a road or along its edge, changing the noise a vehicle's tyres make on the surface and so warning drivers of speed restrictions or of the edge of the road.
- ‘Campaigners were due to meet city council engineers this week to discuss measures including better signs and rumble strips.’
- ‘Mr Pearce believes drivers should be warned about the long double bend by either a sign, speed limit, rumble strips or double white lines.’
- ‘All over the country, councils have their own different ways of slowing traffic - speed bumps, rumble strips, large sections of red painted at the entrance to villages, chevrons, and flashing 30 mph signs, to name but a few.’
- ‘It was more effective than a speed limit sign, or a rumble strip, disfiguring stripes on the road or pious notices imploring drivers to take care.’
- ‘There is also a possibility that rumble strips may be included at the final stages of the work.’
- ‘So the rumble strips along Richmond Road are to be dug out and replaced at a cost to you and me of many thousands of pounds, in addition to the many thousands they cost to put in about six months ago.’
- ‘Paint stripes were found to have only minor influence on driver behaviour, whereas rumble strips lowered speeds by an average of 40 per cent.’
- ‘I've asked for speed bumps, crash barriers and rumble strips but I've been told they would be too dangerous for drivers.’
- ‘On highways and semi-rural roads, rumble strips are preferred to humps.’
- ‘She said proposed safety measures, due to be trialled soon, included rumble strips and two 30 mph signs that provide ‘slow down’ warnings to speeding motorists.’
- ‘These measures, over a half-mile stretch of road, include road humps, rumble strips, pinch points, mini-roundabouts, traffic tables and reflectors at a staggering cost of £160,000 to taxpayers.’
- ‘Car safety features such as antilock brakes and rumble strips on roads have made driving safer.’
- ‘Dermody insists that rumble strips are needed on Royal Oak Road as well as a pedestrian or zebra crossing.’
- ‘Cycles do use the ring road, the area between kerb and rumble strip seems to be used as an unofficial cycle track.’
- ‘The rumble strips provide an audible warning to encourage drivers to slow down early enough to avoid late braking which could lead to such collisions.’
- ‘She said the white lines in the centre of the road would be made clearer, cat's-eye reflectors would be renewed and rumble strips would alert drivers to pay more attention.’
- ‘Anyone who travels the ring road will have noticed the new rumble strips which have started to appear creating an extremely uncomfortable, spine-wrenching ride before each roundabout.’
- ‘Know the warning signs of drowsy driving, such as not being able to remember the last few miles driven or hitting a rumble strip.’
- ‘I am all for sensible traffic-calming, rumble strips, sleeping policemen and so on to keep traffic flowing, but these chicanes are a nightmare and should be dug up and replaced.’
- ‘A 40 mph speed limit, more warning signs and rumble strips are to be installed at one of the county's worst accident black spot to improve road safety.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.