Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An interest or concern that occupies a large part of someone's time and effort.‘football remained their ruling passion’
fixation, consuming passion, passion, mania, idée fixe, compulsion, preoccupation, enthusiasm, infatuation, addiction, fetish, craze, hobby horseView synonyms
- ‘In short, Mario O'Hara appears to have a tangential relationship with film-making - he has had something to do with it at one time or another, but it isn't the ruling passion of his life.’
- ‘Although the blues was his ruling passion, Lomax also documented and recorded church music, field hollers, prison songs, and the many other streams that flowed into the blues.’
- ‘Newman's ruling passion was to establish the absoluteness of Christian doctrine.’
- ‘Science or not, astrology will continue to engage all Indians, and many who are not Indians too, and it has become the ruling passion of Muthkur, a bachelor in his sixties, to keep on proving himself right.’
- ‘His diary chronicles the family affairs and bears few traces of his personal tastes and individuality: a ‘feeling for the casato’ was his ruling passion.’
- ‘Deborah happily took up a supporting role to his ruling passion, but, when she recalls her husband's compulsive, workaholic schedule of those years, she appears to be searching for clues to his impending crisis.’
- ‘The peculiar and preponderant fact that marks those ages as its own is the equality of condition; the ruling passion of men in those periods is the love of this equality.’
- ‘Grosvenor enjoyed hunting, but his ruling passion was racing.’
- ‘It was a flammable match between two very different emotional extremists: Maria had one ruling passion, to create a future for herself through her daughter.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.