One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Be in complete control.‘in this particular society men rule the roost and women have a low status and few rights’
be in charge of, run, be in control of, manage, direct, administer, head, preside over, have authority over, supervise, superintend, oversee, guide, steerView synonyms
- ‘Doctors are in short supply in the interior areas, quacks are ruling the roost there.’
- ‘With the water starting its autumnal cool down the maggot anglers are now ruling the roost as the fish move into deeper water.’
- ‘With soap operas ruling the roost, film industry in general has slowly begun to lose its ‘sheen’ among the masses.’
- ‘Our democracy is crumbling with the politics of fear and prejudice ruling the roost, an electoral system which is corrupt and unrepresentative.’
- ‘Women don't need protection nowadays - they're the ones ruling the roost.’
- ‘Before you know it we will be ruling the roost again.’
- ‘Mickey is now recovering from his ordeal and is getting back to ruling the roost.’
- ‘She was employed as a cook some years ago, but now she rules the roost.’
- ‘It is the children who are ruling the roost, calling the shorts, setting conditions.’
- ‘Rather than a progressive process that inevitably led to Homo sapiens ruling the roost, Gee persuades the reader that evolution is based upon a random selection.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.