One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A long-sleeved top of a kind worn by rugby players, made of thick cotton and having a collar with a short row of buttons that closes at the neck.
- ‘His most charitable errand involved taking a passenger to every sports shop in Swindon in search of an England rugby shirt.’
- ‘We were more than happy to help by purchasing some new, bright rugby shirts for them to wear on the field.’
- ‘Or some interchangeable braying twit in a rugby shirt, ruining a local pub just by being there.’
- ‘They're happy to talk about Dublin though, especially a man wearing an Ireland rugby shirt, who was there for two months.’
- ‘He is also due to become a father for the first time in June, and ready to swap his rugby shirt for a white collar job within the sport.’
- ‘He was so obviously on the rugby team as he was just enormous and always wore a rugby shirt in the union colours.’
- ‘He's wearing a rugby shirt and his trademark grin.’
- ‘A lone Englishman, dressed in a white Rugby shirt, bravely ventured through the bar to some friendly jeers.’
- ‘Fans were dressed in rugby shirts from clubs all over England.’
- ‘I stuck my hand up hesitantly and relaxed when I noticed he was wearing faded blue jeans and a rugby shirt, what he said he would be wearing.’
- ‘Sometime in my twenties, I used to love wearing a comfy casual rugby shirt with broad horizontal stripes of mellow fawn and olive green.’
- ‘The next night he returned, wearing the same rugby shirt.’
- ‘He was bald and wearing a red and white rugby shirt.’
- ‘For once he was not wearing one of his woollen sweaters, but a denim jacket over a rugby shirt.’
- ‘Horizontal stripes of any size are huge this year, and are showing up on ties, rugby shirts, and other items.’
- ‘The main thing that the school needs at the moment is rugby shirts.’
- ‘He was wearing a long trench coat, a red and white rugby shirt, blue jeans and may have had black shoes.’
- ‘Numerous charitable works were listed, including the donation of all his rugby shirts.’
- ‘To see so many children wearing their Knights rugby shirts and baseball caps with pride says so much about what the club have achieved off the pitch as well as on it.’
- ‘The competition prize is an England rugby shirt signed by all the players and Maeve plans to put it up on her bedroom wall.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.