One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in Jamaica) a lawless urban youth who likes ska or reggae music.
- ‘Pick up a newspaper and it's all rappers and rude boys toting guns and tooting coke.’
- ‘The film struck a chord with its outsize tale of music industry corruption and socio-economic conditions in Jamaica, and Cliff won rave reviews for his portrayal of its rude boy hero, Ivan Martin.’
- ‘Suits modeled on those of the Jamaican rude boys were often worn in the evening, but day or night, the skinhead look was hard, masculine, and working-class.’
- ‘They believe that a crackdown by the Metropolitan Police and British Transport Police has displaced London gangs of so-called grungers and rude boys to Chelmsford.’
- ‘I'd also like to remind those people who seem to think that the ska scene is the sole domain of 14-year-old rude boys, that it was skinheads who embraced and popularized ska back in the late '60s and early '70s.’
- ‘On the second song, Irie gives the soft side of a rude boy.’
- ‘The ska lads had emerged from Coventry the year before, rude boys all, and had yet to be eclipsed by their labelmates.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.