One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Having a complexion of a healthy red colour.
untidy, sloppy, scruffy, messy, dishevelled, slovenly, sluttish, slatternly, tousled, unkempt, frowzy, slipshod, bedraggled, down at heelView synonyms
- ‘A short, ruddy-complexioned man, Roberts often gave the impression to outsiders of being exceptionally withdrawn and silent.’
- ‘I half-turned to come face to face with a ruddy-complexioned bloke about my own age, perhaps a little less.’
- ‘Devonshire in middle life resembled a solemn, ruddy-complexioned walrus with a strong jaw.’
- ‘A tall, slim, and pale youth, in company with a short, stout, ruddy-complexioned man, were to be seen conversing and walking slowly together in the direction of Kensington.’
- ‘He is 87, a ruddy-complexioned, curly gray-haired soft-spoken man.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.