Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Having a complexion of a healthy red colour.
untidy, sloppy, scruffy, messy, dishevelled, slovenly, sluttish, slatternly, tousled, unkempt, frowzy, slipshod, bedraggled, down at heelView synonyms
- ‘A short, ruddy-complexioned man, Roberts often gave the impression to outsiders of being exceptionally withdrawn and silent.’
- ‘A tall, slim, and pale youth, in company with a short, stout, ruddy-complexioned man, were to be seen conversing and walking slowly together in the direction of Kensington.’
- ‘I half-turned to come face to face with a ruddy-complexioned bloke about my own age, perhaps a little less.’
- ‘He is 87, a ruddy-complexioned, curly gray-haired soft-spoken man.’
- ‘Devonshire in middle life resembled a solemn, ruddy-complexioned walrus with a strong jaw.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.