One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The fortieth anniversary of a significant event, especially a couple's wedding.‘Patrick and I celebrated our ruby anniversary last year’
- ‘On the occasion of their Ruby Anniversary friends and relatives gathered in great numbers.’
- ‘The liner will, in her ruby anniversary year, visit many of the ports where she been warmly welcomed over the years.’
- ‘To mark the ruby anniversary there will be "Ruby Murray" curries on selected flights from London and the USA in April.’
- ‘A capacity crowd was present in the pub for a special celebration to mark the ruby anniversary of the opening of the landmark hostelry.’
- ‘Heartiest congratulations to John and Mary on their ruby anniversary.’
- ‘Every moment with him is as precious as the rubies and diamonds in the exquisite brooch he gave me as a ruby anniversary present.’
- ‘A ruby anniversary to them meant 40 years of married bliss.’
- ‘Club members now look forward to their formal Ruby Anniversary Dinner at the end of April.’
- ‘On October 6, 2007, the Conservancy will mark its Ruby Anniversary with a masked ball.’
- ‘Staff are also looking at a fundraising activity around a red theme, again marking the charity's ruby anniversary.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.