One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Erase pencil marks with a rubber.‘he rubbed out a couple of lines and carried on drawing’
erase, delete, scrub out, wipe off, remove, efface, obliterate, expungeView synonyms
- ‘The word had been rubbed out.’
- ‘You make your mark and that is it, you can't rub it out.’
- ‘It was built unsymmetrically because Stalin wrote on the plans; they were redesigned around his scrawl because nobody had the courage to rub it out.’
- ‘They quite often have to rub their work out at the end of the day and use the paper again.’
- ‘They need to get it right first time as well as they can't just rub it out and start again.’
- ‘But as I stood there, scribbling away on the white board, rubbing words out and rewriting, we hashed out a statement.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.